Sunday, December 16, 2012

Fitting the Pieces Together


The past seven weeks I’ve been learning about various learning theories, styles and strategies. As I look back on my experience and contemplate the relevance and meaning for me professionally, I am asked to consider my personal learning preferences and discuss the role of technology in learning. As I began this journey I was unorganized in my understanding of learning theory and the relevance that each one provides. As I’ve grown in knowledge and understanding these past weeks I have come to believe that each of the learning theories and styles have merit in the proper context. In the beginning, I was under the impression that I would find the one theory that explains it all and I would become a follower of a specific field of thought. Quite the contrary, I have become a fan of all of the theories and styles. In looking at my own personal learning I can see that I have moments when all of the learning theories and styles are prominent. I can very easily relate to a behavioristic approach when I develop a new skill or ability as I have recently in a construction job. I look to the cognitive model as I read and study new information and try to make connections with my long-term memory. The connectivism theory has been highlighted the past couple of months through the discussion posts and conversations with classmates regarding the learning resources. The constructivist approach speaks to me in this class as I consider the context of my learning and the manner in which I will apply the content to my present environment. As an Instructional Designer I believe that knowledge of the various learning theories, styles and strategies will better allow me to design curriculum to meet the needs of learners by considering the content of each lesson and determining the most advantageous delivery method available. The role of technology is primarily as a tool to assist in the delivery, manipulation, or interaction with the content. I intend to take advantage of the various technological tools to help learners get the most out of what they are learning and to enhance the learning theory best suited for a given lesson. The technology can be used in a variety of ways to support and enhance the learning theory, style or strategy being implemented for a given lesson. Placing greater expectation on the technology itself to deliver learning will eventually lead to frustration and failure. So whatever the task set before me, I am now more capable of matching an effective learning theory, style or strategy to the content being delivered. I hope to become more proficient at the utilization of current technologies to best support the learner and aid them to achieve their learning goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment